Saturday, August 29, 2009

What's Cookin...

I've never been much of a cook. Coming to RVA was a bit of a shock in that just about everyone here cooks most everything from scratch. During my first week here, different families hosted me for dinner every night, and I was more than amazed at their home concoctions: homemade salad dressing, cheese, sour cream, soups - everything. In making my own meals, I was content in just eating cereal 3 times a day, but Jen and Cassie have come to the rescue. Instead of cooking for one, we usually cook for 3 now, and have made some of the most delicious meals I've ever had (whether because of taste or pride, either way..). And thanks to the fact that veggies here are dirt cheap (today I bought 3 green peppers, 4 potatoes, a big bag of green beans, a pineapple, 3 onions, an orange, and 4 tomatoes for less than $4), it is well worth the effort. So, because we are so proud of our cooking adventures, I have chosen to share with you. This is mostly for Daddy though, since he always teases me for never cooking. Daddy, it's a good thing you sent me to Africa so I could learn to cook! :)

First, we have homemade tortilla chips. Cut the tortilla, sprinkle limejuice (freshly squeezed) and salt, pop in the toaster oven, and voila!





Next, the breakfast that began it all: egg omelets, potatoes, toast and jam. Not pictured: a MOUND of guac... it was pretty incredible...



My personal favorite, bagel bites! I was talking to my old roommate one night and she was having Bagel Bites and I was craving them, so I decided to be resourceful and make my own! This was my first cooking experience by myself, and it was fantastic! I had no idea how to use my can opener to open the tomato paste, so I ended up stabbing it and tomato paste squirted ALL OVER me and the walls and the fridge.. I sat in the middle of my kitchen laughing for a good two minutes. I loved it :) To make: English muffins, top with tomato paste, spinach, green peppers, onions, pop into the toaster oven, and mmmm....



And finally, the pride of our lives, our cinnamon rolls. Cass, Jen and I made these for another girl's birthday, and they were easily the most cinnamon rolls I've ever eaten. Again, whether because of taste or pride.... So we documented the entire process... enjoy!


















Ah yes, and our beautiful banana oat pancakes!!


So I never thought I'd say this, but yay for cooking :)

1 comment:

  1. Vegetables? J-E-A-L-O-U-S. We run out of fresh fruits and veggies tomorrow (Nick & Lynne, the missionaries we live with, just did a supply run 3 days before we got here). After that, it's squash, cabbage, and lots of carbohydrates.

    My mouth is salivating at the thought of a fresh pineapple, and I've only been here 3 days! When I see you at the end of November all I'm going to eat is fruit and veggies. In that order.

    ReplyDelete