Sunday, August 16, 2009

"Ifama"

I’ve tried putting into words how peaceful and assured I feel at the moment, but I haven’t figured out quite how to do that yet. Every detail of this trip so far has been absolutely perfect, and it’s absolutely spectacular watching as God fits little things together and shows me how He’s been preparing me for this in so many ways. So if you’re up to reading, here’s how it’s gone so far…

The flights were perfect! On the way to London from Houston, I sat next to a couple who was… highly entertaining… and lively as could be, which was perfect since I was ridiculously hyper. For some reason, our tvs didn’t work, and then the lady next to me spilled wine all in my lap and all over my seat, so the hilarious male steward moved us to first class for free! I watched bits and pieces of movies, read a couple pages here and there, but mostly just tried to sit still from excitement. After a little over nine hours, we arrived in London to face the most miserable security check I’ve ever had, but to get through without problems and then meet up with the rest of the team. The layover gave me just enough time to brush my teeth, wash my face, grab a bite to eat, and chat a bit before boarding. The second flight from London to Nairobi was much... squishier, as the seats were all smaller in general, and I had people next to me and, oh yeah, I wasn't in first class. But it was wonderful - there's another girl about 26 who was in front of us who's here at RVA, and there was a couple behind us with two kids - 4 and 6 - who are also here at RVA. Small world! I saw my first African sunset from the clouds - it was breathtaking - and I saw the Sahara Desert down below as we flew over. Words cannot describe the excitement and joy that I felt, and I was so excited when Annie, the girl in front of me, started randomly giggling over. I decided then that I really really liked her.

We got into the airport around 9:15 p.m. Nairobi time - a little behind schedule - and didn't leave until about 11:30. One of the girls couldn't find her bag, so we searched the airport high and low before going to the baggage counter to track the luggage and see if it arrived. It hadn't - it never left Maryland, so once we figured that out, it was a breeze. Customs was basically nonexistent - we merely walked through a little aisle, they scanned our luggage tags, and that was it. Wow! Two AIM vans met us there and took us to the guesthouse in Nairobi. The drive was crazy – there are basically no rules on the road. It’s funny, because in the States I get ridiculously nervous when riding with bad drivers, but here I didn’t flinch or think twice about it. Whether I was too distracted by my first sights of Africa, or whether I just figured they knew what they were doing even if I would’ve been lost, I was in complete peace. Again.

We stayed the first night in Nairobi at AIM’s guesthouse, which was beautiful. We slept with mosquito nets, which made me feel so adventurous! Anyways, we had breakfast and then headed off to grocery shop. I bought some fruits and veggies and very basics for my house since I didn't know what was already here. Some of the fruits and vegetables here are incredible looking! There’s a spikey cucumber-looking thing that I’m dying to try. In the market, the first song I heard was Jason Mraz’s “I’m Yours,” which was the last song I heard in America and hummed all the way to Africa, so I found that amusing. They followed Jason up with some good ole’ country music, so it made me wonder if I was really back in Texas in the middle of a bad prank.


After shopping we were off to Kijabe. I didn't time the drive, but they said it's usually about 1-1.25 hours. It was incredible. We drove by some slums, by big houses, by donekys and sheep in the ditches, donkey-drawn carts, kids playing EVERYWHERE, schools, everything. We got up to 9,000 ft. at one point and looked out over the Great Rift Valley - it was unreal! Once we got up higher, there was a lot of little farmland communities, so they were growing corn and it reminded me a lot of Wisconsin (but the cornfields aren't nearly as big or pretty).

Once in Kijabe, I got my house, met my hostess, had lunch with Cassie (one of the girls I met in NY) and a family that hosted us (they have 5 kids ages 5-11 who are absolute monkeys!) and had a small tour of the campus, which is huge! After unpacking for a bit, I met a couple other “singles,” as we’re referred to, toured some other homes, and was off to a delicious dinner with my hostess. I was also shown by one of the “monkeys” referred to above a certain fruit tree and had to try them. They’re the size of large grapes and have the texture of a peach, but taste a little tangy, and are my new favorite things. Apparently real monkeys come on campus all the time and eat these fruits. I may have to chase them away…

The weather’s beautiful. It’s actually a little chilly – probably in the 60s and 70s. It’s amazing the difference from Houston’s 103 two days ago.

I’m in Africa. Some things are much different than I imagined, but I am as joyful – or more – than I’ve always imagined I would be, and all the more thrilled that God is so prevalent in all of it.

3 comments:

  1. Wow I've never flown first class before. That's awesome, I feel so honored to be your friend now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder how many of these little adventures (wine in your lap) will have me shaking me head and saying "Only Manduh" over the next year!? ;) So glad you're settling in. Loved Skying (is that a word?) last night! Love ya!
    am

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited to get to read about all of your African adventures. It sounds so perfect thus far, praying for you!

    ReplyDelete