Monday, August 17, 2009

Settling In

Today seemed like it was at least 92 hours long. I woke up this morning at about 6:30 to the sound of all sorts of different birds outside my window. Apparently this area of Kenya is one of the bird-watching capitals of the world, so it's sort of exciting to see all of the different birds, even though I have no idea what they are or what they're about.

I met up with my hostess and we went to a garage sale where I found a bathroom rug and a curtain for the bathroom window (I had just realized I didn't have one up.. oops!) and a little crock pot for about $2 each... a total steal! I came home, finished unpacking, cleaning, and organizing, took a little stock of what I had so far, had a mango from Heaven for lunch, and then headed up to another garage sale! I found two couch pillows, a couple African paintings, 3 candles, a wastebasket, and a couple of misc. baskets for a total of a little less than $5.

Sometime after that, I met with the junior high/high school principal and found out I'll be teaching 7th and 8th grade World Geography - whoop! I'm pretty sure I blogged about my little girl at the daycare that taught me all about the countries of the world, and I've been addicted to trying to name all of the countries on sporcle.com, so I feel like these have prepared me at least a little bit! hah... Unfortunately, the social studies department is practically empty - no dept. head, hardly enough teachers to fill the positions (I think they're still trying to find some - interested??), and most of the materials are missing at the moment, so I'll have a fun time ahead trying to get lesson plans organized and figure out what needs to be done! Fortunately, I have the time, and God has given me - you guessed it - such peace that I'm not phased in the least and looking forward to the challenge!

In other news, I was helping my hostess set up her classroom today and we found bird poop on one of her almost-finished bulletin boards. And then we heard noises at the door and figured it was just the wind (because that's what it always is), but when I checked, there was a huge lizard just staring me in the face, and started running right towards me. And apparently there are some mongooses (mongeese?) that are raiding the trashcans, and a certain monkey has been hanging around my roof, though I haven't seen him yet. Welcome to Africa.

1 comment:

  1. Justin has a lot of good stuff for world geo! that's what he teaches...and, I might be biased but, he's pretty dang good at it.

    Can't believe you are in AFRICA! I remember sitting with you your freshman year talking about this. God is i-n-c-r-e-d-i-b-l-e

    ReplyDelete