Sunday, August 23, 2009

Theo, our Love

So a few weeks ago, I got an email from a lady here asking me if I'd like to take a cat. The cat lived here previously, and is quite attached to the single's compound (a group of 3 duplexes with young single ladies in them, myself included), so they were hoping I'd just take it to avoid any changes or complications. Well, seeing as I have never liked a cat, and have adopted my Daddy's motto of what cats are good for (shark bait), I kindly turned down the offer.

I met Theo the cat the first day I was here. Jen, my neighbor, informed Cassie and I that the cat never goes away, is constantly around begging for food and meowing into all hours of the night, and was simply not her favorite. So none of us really liked Theo. Well, except Cassie, who decided that it would be her birthday present. But she quickly changed her mind.

Well Theo never leaves. He follows me around quite a bit. Yesterday as I was moving clothes from inside my shed to hang them on the lines in the middle of the compound, Theo stayed right by my leg, even though I went back and forth about 5 times. He's become more like a dog to us because of his loyalty and new habit of curling up beside us. Also, he hasn't been being fed for a couple of weeks now because no one's taking the responsibility. I gave him some coffee-flavored yogurt and a couple of slices of potatoes, but that's all the food he's had to our knowledge.

Needless to say, sweet Theo has grown on Jen, Cassie and I. So we've decided to split responsibility for feeding him, though no one is officially claiming him as "ours," and he's not allowed in any houses.

So welcome to our life, sweet Theo. You're the only cat in the world right now that I wouldn't throw to sharks, so don't mess it up. :)

2 comments:

  1. Good for you, Amanda! I'm not a cat person either but they do need love, like the rest of God's creatures! Cats and dogs in other countries are treated very, very poorly, to put it nicely. Take care! You're in my prayers!

    Mary Drosche

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have one now too! Pretty boy has become quite the icon around here. And I've always said I would never love a cat.

    ReplyDelete