Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas in Kenya

Sarah made us stockings that said "My First Christmas in Africa"... so cute!
Praise the Lord, I survived my first Christmas without my family! And in Kenya, at that!

Heading into Christmas I figured it'd either be really sad not being in Wisconsin with my family and waiting for our Santa presents, or else I'd be so busy playing with other families that I'd hardly have time to be sad. Thank God, it was the second.

On Christmas Eve Sarah, Cassie and I headed down to have dinner and games and fun with another family here on campus. There was another family that joined and a couple other single people, so there was a nice little crowd. We ate ribs... DELICIOUS... and played all sorts of games before everyone dispersed. The girls and I decided to spend the night there, so we helped stuff stockings (it was SO strange being on the adult side of Christmas Eve...) for the kids and stayed up way too late chatting and then headed to bed. Christmas morning we were awakened by squeals and such, which was so precious! They have 4 kids - the oldest is in my class - and we all waited at the top of the stairs until the parents gave the "okay" to come down. We opened stockings and presents - they had both for us as well - and played with all of the funny new toys. It was so refreshing to see kids enjoying toys that cost very little and not caring that they didn't get a $50 video game or computer or phone or something.

Afterwards I headed back up to the compound to have Christmas lunch with the family next door and a few other families they invited over. I was absolutely ecstatic to realize that they had all the foods I usually eat on Christmas - REAL turkey, stuffing, green bean casserole, jello casserole, and tons more. We ate REALLY well and I was a little tired of food by the time I left, which is a good sign :)

Then Christmas night me, Cassie and Sarah got together to open our gifts from home. Dad had brought over a few presents when he came and I got a box in the mail a few weeks ago that I never opened. Sarah was so sweet to wrap my presents for me so it'd actually feel like Christmas when I got to open them, and we had so much fun. Most of my presents were food, but I nearly danced a jig of excitement when I saw the clothes I got - SO PRETTY! I'm pretty sure my sister-in-law helped my mom pick them out? If so, great job Andrea :)

Mom sent these candies a little after Halloween, so there's both holidays here! It was pretty funny...GAP!!! :)I was SUPER excited about all of my new goodies! And notice the s'mores stuff! And LOTS of Crystal Lite! And new pajamas! And Craisins! So fu

God was so gracious to surround me with such love and fun here that I hardly felt homesick and went to bed full of joy. However, I definitely look forward to Christmas with my family again next year, God willing :)

2 comments:

  1. Yes Andrea helped with the shopping. That way we figured whatever you didn't like she could have when you come back! We missed you in Wi but are so glad you had friends to spend Christmas with. Love you - Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked the clothes! I was SO nervous but it looked like you. AND, when in doubt, we deferred to your Mom's judgement...which is pertty good! Marty always tells me about how he talks to you when I'm at school and I feel really jealous. I miss you! Call me sometime please. Love you!

    ReplyDelete