Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas with Little Lambs


About a month ago I got word from my Aunt and Unlce that they wanted to donate a large amount to use for Kenyan kids over here - whatever I thought best. So I talked about it with my worker/friend, Bernice, and we decided to buy shoes for all of the kids at Little Lambs. The checks came in, the cash was gotten, and off we headed to Kimende, a village at the top of the hill, on market day to buy all of the shoes. Bernice did the bargaining while I helped find all of the shoe sizes we need, and when she told me the total, it was EXACTLY how much was donated!! Praise the Lord - His provision was so obvious and perfect! We hauled the shoes back and have waited patiently to give them to the precious kids...

And Wednesday finally came. Little Lambs had their Christmas party on the 23rd and I was thrilled to be invited to join them in their celebration. I bought a little 5 ft. Christmas tree and some decorations to take with, and Bernice and I loaded the shoes into the taxi and headed up the hill.A handful of kids were already there setting up the decorations (ribbon and balloons, mostly), they food was already cooked, and the chairs were all being set up. We emptied out the shoe bag and lined them all up to get ready to hand them out.The kids lined up as we called their names and blessed them with a good, sturdy pair of shoes. Some of them did a little happy dance, many faces lit up, and most walked away with an "asante sana (thank you very much), God bless you." These blessings, of course, are for my wonderful Aunt and Uncle who provided this incredible gift.Somehow we didn't have the right size for the last little girl, so Bernice and I headed out on an adventure back to Kimende to grab a pair so she wouldn't be the only one without new "smart" shoes.
She obviously needed new shoes, so we were happy to adventure out and get them :)
The one on the right was the last to get her shoes, but better late than never, eh?

After the shoe extravaganza, we ate a feast by standards here, watched a few skits, the choir sang a couple songs, and then it hailed. Yes, it hailed in Africa. In the hot season. We all ran inside to a small, cramped little room and waited the storm out in there. I sang some Christmas carols with the kids in English and Swahili - a bit difficult, but great! - and they climbed ALL over me for about 1/2 an hour. But it was SO fun :)This trip to Little Lambs was such a beautiful blessing. I've started building relationships with most of the kids, and a lot of them that didn't really have anything to do with me at first are some of my closest little buddies. I'm getting to know the staff there much better, and God is definitely opening my eyes to opportunities to help and serve them. I was truly blessed by their graciousness and love, and I am so thankful that God has placed me in the midst of that wonderful place, even if for only a few times. Merry Christmas, dear little lambs of The Good Shepherd...

1 comment:

  1. YAY!!! So wonderful. I love these precious ones, and it is so sweet to watch the Lord provide for them and their little feet!

    Love you honey. See you in a few days!

    ReplyDelete