Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Disconnected

I've had this post ready for a while, but surprise!, I haven't had my computer for two days! Wow, how did I survive, you ask? Gilmore Girls, lesson planning, and cleaning my room helped. Although now with lesson plans spread all over my bedroom floor, you would never know it had been cleaned... Anyways, here is the long awaited update!

Friday night was the first "Caring Community" night. All of the 7-12 graders are split up into groups of 8-10 (give or take a few) and sent to a staff house for about 1.5-2 hours to play games, eat, chat, do extra homework (ha..), etc. Jenny and I decided to do a Caring Comm. group together since.. two is better than one? And we decided to have our 8th grade girls, so 6 of them came over to my house, helped me build my first fire, and fried some flying ants before playing a few games and chatting just about nonstop

The Ants...

With the Butter...

Sizzle Ants, Sizzle...

dundundun...
Yumm :)

How did I obtain all of these bugs, you ask? Well, you know how in the States students bring the teachers apples? (Well not really, but let's pretend that it actually happens.) Here, my students have found out I eat bugs on occasion, so one of their favorite things to do is bring me bugs. These are flying ants, which are actually quite the popular treat around Kijabe! Apparently during 3rd term (May-Julyish) EVERYONE eats flying - you just stick them in oil, fry them, sprinkle some garlic or salt over them, and pop them like popcorn! Anyways, one of my 7th graders brought me a whole jar-full last week, so we put them to good use! :)

Saturday night was Variety Night - staff splits up and holds different events that the students can choose to do. Jenny and I hosted Rugby on the Upper Field. I've never played rugby in my life! We had originally planned on just playing game, but a rumor got out that it was rugby, so rugby we played! And let me tell you, it is quite the game!! I LOVE it. I'm craving it right now, in fact...

Skip forward to today. Exciting news, Daddy! You see, he's been wondering why I haven't taken any great pictures of monkeys with this monster lense he sent with me. I explained that every time we go to take pictures of monkeys, they're hiding. And every time we see them, our cameras are hiding. Well yesterday the world finally synched together, and I got some pictures of a monkey eating out of our trashcan! Not as close-up as we might like, but good enough for today :)
In case you're wondering, I'm still loving Africa. God has continued to bless me and grow me and challenge me, and I am so thankful for the opportunities that I've had and that lie ahead. Oh praise our Majestic God! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment