Sunday, September 20, 2009

Week in a Nutshell...

This week flew by, but before this week starts I figured I should update a bit so my next post won't be 4 pages long...

This week was hard and long and brilliant and beautiful.

Tuesday I attended my first futbol (soccer) game ever. Well, not ever, but the first one that I actually payed attention to and wasn't held at the YMCA. My junior highers had scrimmages on Tuesday and Wednesday, I believe to pick teams, and it was pretty exciting to watch. I must say, some of my boys are quite the athletes - expect to see them in the World Cup in a few years! Thursday was the high school games against a private school in Nairobi for mostly Embassy kids, and varsity won! It was so much fun out there - all of the high school spirit and whatnot. Way fun to watch. Had dinner with the other Single Ladies, and watched as rain clouds rolled on in but left us questioning where the rain was.


Friday was Open House, which is much different here than it is in the States. Parents come in and actually attend classes with the students like normal, and then have 5 minutes at the end of class to talk to the teachers and whatnot. It was really great meeting the parents and getting to make connections between them and their kids. I had some great conversations with some parents, got to hear about their ministries, and was invited to visit a few over Christmas break! Apparently this is quite normal here, and it's something that everyone recommends actually doing.

Friday night was Class Night - all of the classes have hangouts with their sponsors - eat, play games, etc. I was asked this week to be a 7th grade sponsor, so now I get to hang out with my AWESOME 7th graders 4 times a term for Class Night and other times for random jr. high hangouts. They were insane - bouncing all over, screaming at the top of their lungs, running around as hyper as I've ever seen a 7th grader... and the whole time, I sat there thinking "this sure is great - I don't have to teach them right now..." and just enjoying watching their enthusiasm. Oh junior highers... they're so much cooler than we give them credit for. hah...

Saturday was quite the day at RVA. It was Titchie (Elementary) Field Day in the morning, and Senior Store in the afternoon. For Senior Store, the seniors sell donuts all day Saturday and also cook lunch on Saturday - they sell hamburgers, brats, taco salads, chicken, ice cream, etc. and the money goes towards Senior Safari. Let me tell you, after having very little meat for a long long while, my hamburger was quite possibly one of the most satisfying burgers I've ever had. A big chunk of meat... wow. It was indescribable. I mean, not as tasty as Harvey Washbangers, but I wasn't quite so meat deprived back then. (Don't worry Mom, I'm getting plenty of protein, just no big chunks of meat like Daddy's ribs or steaks or dove or burgers or chickens or brisket... sigh..)
Today was our first Sunday School class, so Jenny and I had 8 8th grade girls over to start our study on 1 Cor. 13 this term. Afterwards, church, and then Little Lambs. I'll have a separate post on this tomorrow since now I'm a bit tired and still have some grading to do... but before I go, the best and biggest news of the week...

It has now poured 3 nights in a row, praise the Lord! The other rains that I've seen since being here have been short, and by the next morning you'd have no idea it rained by looking at the dry ground. But these rains have left the grounds saturated and muddy and the plants looking a bit perkier... praise our God :) I want to thank all of you who have been praying for the rain, and ask that you all continue to do so, as we still need so much! Pray also that other regions of Kenya especially get some, as it is much worse in other areas.

2 comments:

  1. I truly enjoy your blog! Thanks for updating it so much. I love knowing what's going on in your life. You feel much closer when I know what you are doing and I can see your beautiful pictures. Are you enjoying your camera? Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE my camera!! I haven't taken nearly enough time to just play with it as I should, but I'm getting there! It's sad that I don't want to take it to certain places since I don't want it to get stolen - it means giving up a lot of incredible shots...
    I think you should come over here so we can take pictures together...

    ReplyDelete