Tuesday, October 6, 2009

You've Got Mail

Five weeks ago, my Mommy sent out a box that would make a long, adventurous trip halfway around the world. The Naive Postman said "it should take 6-10 days," and though I had heard the stories and seen proof of how the "normal" amount of time for a package to arrive here is at least 5 weeks, I foolishly got my hopes up anyways. About a week after she sent it, I began ceremoniously walking down to the mailroom each day, usually with Cassie or Jenny behind me hoping it'd be there so we could stop all of this silly waiting. And each day, it was to no avail. I would walk back up the hill emptyhanded, without the box that my Mommy sent.

And then, Lo and behold! Yesterday while I was administering a retake quiz for some of my students, Jenny appeared in my doorway holding a box that seemed to glow with a light from Heaven! "It's here!" I would've ripped it open right there if we hadn't agreed long ago that this special box deserved some special opening, so we needed to wait for a) Cassie and b) a camera. I finished the after-school session, brought my package home, drudged through dining hall dinner duty, then came home with Cassie and Jenny to finally "ooh" and "aah" over the goodies I've been waiting for. Jenny was a fantastic photographer - however, the lighting's a big weird, making some things sort of orangy... oh well. Anyways, here it is :)

The Box...

The Excitement...

The Opening...

Opened!! Gooooodies!!!

Crystal Light!! When all you have to drink is funky milk and water, kool-aid is... indescribable...

Chili Powder! (Don't worry, my hair isn't really orange...)

My homey, worn-in brown flip flops :)

An envelope with a blank cd and 2 flash drives in it!! Life savers!!!!

!!!!!!SCOTCH TAPE!!!!!! The tape here is funky, and I missed this stuff...

Two new LOVELY sweatshirts. Perfect, because it's still cold here...

And not pictured above, but still really exciting:
Scented Candles for my sometimes-funky-smelling-house
CHOCOLATE CHIPS!!! These are like GOLD here - you can't get them in Africa...
Icebreakers Mints and Mints from Maryland... can't get them here either, and they're fantastic...
Black flip flops... why not?
Picture frames, since the ones here are ridiculously expensive and not so cute...
Thank You cards that I left at home.. oops..
PLASTIC BAGS!! These actually contained items, but over here they're expensive and we reuse them... impressive, eh?

Anyways, I just thought I'd share my incredibly exciting news with the world :)

3 comments:

  1. yay! i love how excited you look :). miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The exicitement pic is my fav :)
    Also I thought you dyed your hair red for a second

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha I thought people might think that. I don't know what was up with the lighting, but before I edited pictures I looked like I stole Jarrett's hair color!

    ReplyDelete