Monday, September 14, 2009

Dennis and his Cake

At 5 p.m., Cassie, Jenny, Bernice (my worker) and I walked down to catch a matatu (bus). We crammed into a rickety old van (this time it was missing the plastered posters of the R&B stars of the West and the crazy mixture of American music, but it was enjoyable nonetheless) to inch our way up the hill. Crawling out was quite an ordeal as Bernice and I were in the back and had to shove our way through to the door - something that would've been unacceptable in America. But when in Kenya... We started our walk up the little dirt road, with children yelling "How are you How are you How are you How are you How are you" in the sweetest little accents and running up to us to shake our hands. It was like a walk through a scene from a movie - all sorts of trees (some reminding Cassie and I of Florida trees during hurricane season), rickety fences, little wooden shacks, yards willed with half-dead cornstalks and skinny cows, natives hanging laundry, shouting "hello" in the local Kukuyu language... it was beautiful. I could keep trying to describe it, but until you're in the midst of it, it's impossible to imagine. And even in the midst of it, it's almost like a dream.

We continued down the dirt road, turning to our right to go uphill some more, and eventually looking out over the valley. This picture does our view NO justice whatsoever, but believe me when I say it was breathtaking. Breathtaking. Looking out over the side of the mountain, listening to the wind (which is SUPER strong up there) swaying, and just basking in the peaceful life of small-village life... it was indescribable.

Soon, we turned off into the bushes, past a huge wooden fence, and were at Bernice's home. I think if I hadn't had any idea of what "real" African living was, I would've been shocked to the point of real sadness. But knowing Bernice and her joy especially reminded me that possessions don't indicate happiness. It was a little wooden house with an outhouse, a couple of pieces of clothing hanging on the lines, and a skinny cow (with no name) outside. Entering in, we found the walls were made of cardboard, with sheets hung as doors between the "rooms." The whole house probably fit in the kitchen of my Cypress house, but it was her home, and I had no doubt that they considered it enough. The "walls" were all covered with white lace sheets for decorations, and Cassie informed us that this was indeed "VERY" nice compared to most Kenyan living.




After waiting for about 10 minutes, Bernice's precious son finally arrived to celebrate his 6th birthday with us. When he walked through the door, the first thought that went through my head was "I want one JUST like him!" Oh my goodness.. he was precious. And terrified of these three crazy wazungus (white people) who were staring and smiling and speaking English, which he didn't understand. It took him a while to even move, but when Jenny offered him the aluminum foil that covered the cake and had some icing on it, he took it and started licking away. All of us then broke into a girly chorus of "aw"s and "how sweet"s.

Bernice served us chai and mandazis which were both delicious. We then served up the chocolate cake - THANK you Jenny and Betty Crocker! - and stayed to chat for just a little bit before heading back down before it turned dark.

Overall, it was probably my favorite day so far. The atmosphere of the little village was... delightful in the most wonderful sense of the word, and the little house reminded me so much of our camphouses in Uvalde (West Texas) with its simplicity and peace. I loved it. Daddy, I think you would've absolutely loved this place. Thankfully, Bernice loves us, and we're hoping to visit quite often and get to know the village children as well. We're planning on having her teach us to make some Kenyan food as well.

It is so sweet to think of how God placed Bernice into our lives and how much I have been blessed by her and her simple yet joyful home. It is so obvious how her genuine and gentle heart has impacted her sweeeeet sweet son and makes their life the perfect example of how to have such joy in the midst of having so "little."

So happy birthday Dennis, and thank you Jesus for the best birthday party I've ever been to :)

No comments:

Post a Comment