Tuesday, July 7, 2009

RVA Orientation: Day 2 & 3

These past two days have been incredibly busy and exhausting, but encouraging and exciting beyond what I ever imagined!

Yesterday we had our psych evals and looked at our personality test results, and apparently I passed and am safe to go to Africa, praise God! I was amazed at how right-on it was in describing my personality, and I'm excited to see God teach me and grow me throughout the next year as we work on my personal goals :) I feel so grown up and official...

We also had group-building time and played some fun little games, including hacky sack (which I am terrible at, in case you're wondering...) and a woofle (?) ball game that we rocked. Afterwards, we split up into ministry groups (so the 7 RVA people were together) and answered fun little questions and got to know each other a little more. In case I haven't said it enough, God has been so gracious in blessing me with absolutely fantastic people to work with and I am out of my mind thankful for each one of them and the encouragement they've brought!

A few of us walked up to a little corner store afterwards, which was shocking for me because I made it all the way there without sweating - I don't think I get 2 feet in July in Texas without bordering on a heat stroke. The weather was beatiful and the fireflies were out (some may or may not have been eaten...), so it was a perfect summer night. I love it here...

Today we had a lot of meetings and lectures on culture and worldview, banking, travel and what the Bible says about missions. Parts of it were a bit like college lectures and I had trouble focusing without my crosswords there, but other sessions were exhilerating as I thought about trying to get through customs and flying overseas and packing and whatnot. I'm a bit worried the Africans will peg me as a first-time-international-flier and note the fact that I have no idea what I'm doing and get away with hundreds of dollars in bribes, but I think I'll just practice beforehand or something.

I got an email this morning from the RVA Superintendent asking me to teach 7th or 8th grade English and/or be a 9th grade dorm parent. Gasp. In case you've forgotten, my degree is in elementary, and while I love love love English, I've never taught it, so this is definitely going to be a challenge. Definitely. But I'm insanely excited as I... well, love love love English, so I'll probably head home and start studying up on grammar skills and whatnot. It's funny, up until about a year or two ago I was terrified of the thought of teaching junior high, but I've slowly come to really like that age, and now God seems to be opening a door that He's began to prepare me to walk through. I'm pumped, to say the least.

Things are really starting to hit - there's a team here that leaves tomorrow and thinking about their situation sort of helps me to visualize what I'll be doing in just over a month, and it's exhilerating and terrifying at the same time, but a good terrifying, if that makes sense... It'll be strange going home after I feel so prepared being here, but I have a ton to do before we leave, so the time is sure to fly... eek...

Anyways, it's bed time. Or something. So goodnight all :)

1 comment:

  1. So proud of you, sweet girl! I think whichever assignment you accept, you are going to ROCK.

    ReplyDelete