Sunday, July 5, 2009

RVA Orientation: Day 1

So last night I officially felt like a 6th grader going to summer camp. RVA Orientation is this week (today-Wednesday) in New York, and I knew I wouldn't know anyone going up, and I had no idea what to expect about activities/housing/people/anything, so I was ridiculously nervous. But praise the Lord, it has been fantastic!

The nerves really kicked in at the Newark airport in New Jersey when I was at baggage claim; I was waiting for my baggage and the taxi driver to pick me up and started panicking, realizing I was far away and about to go through all of this without anyone there to hold my hand through it and it just felt like the first REAL step towards Africa and like it was already beginning and thinking about all of this made it a little difficult to breathe and see straight. I met the taxi driver and he immediately pegged me as a Texan because I was "so friendly." Apparently when he was in the Navy a million years ago he met a Texan who was the friendliest person he'd ever met and it shocked him so much that he hasn't forgotten her since. And apparently he'll remember me forever too? I was nervous - I talked a lot. Apparently New Yorkers don't do that.

Got to AIM Headquarters, driver dropped me off at the front office, and I realized it was locked. Lights off. No one answering the door. I tried a couple other doors, and no one answered there either. I saw no signs of people, so I felt a little abandoned. That's awkward. Luckily, someone happened by and let me in, so I sat in my room alone for a couple hours reading and napping and everyone else showed up about 3 hours later. At least they came...

Anyways, I've met an old Ag (c/o '79) who decided we should have Muster while over there. He's GREAT. There are four older adults (two couples) and they're great and so fun to watch, and two other girls - 23 and 24 - who will be teaching at RVA as well, praise God.

Anyways, all of this to say God has been so gracious in reassuring me that things are going to be more than okay. It's scary - and the whole "I'm living in Africa for a year" thing is starting to really hit, making me insanely nervous, but I'm so so thankful to have these people beside me with the same concerns and anxieties, but the same passions and excitements as well.

This is going to be great. :)

3 comments: