Monday, May 24, 2010

Take a Hike...

I really like my 8th graders.
A lot.
So when they asked if I wanted to hike to the Hot Springs with them, well.. duh.
So we all gathered...

took a few captives...walked through Goblin Tunnel to the sounds of many, many shrieks and squeals (the boys too..)and were on our merry way. Of course they needed to stop and climb the cliffs...and have yoga balancing competitions...and... other competitions...and "ooh" and "aah" at the pretty scenery... [Note: This is Mt. Margaret.. according to Kikuyu legend, it is the top of Mt. Longonot (the volcano to the right of this) which blew off in the first eruption. I love it...]This is the waterfall we hiked to back in December... SO FUN!So we caught up to the rest of them...Jenny fell...And we sloooowly hiked straight down to our beautiful destination:While the kids went into a long dark tunnel filled with water to swim in another area, Jenny and I took the opportunity to take some beautiful pictures...
One of the students found a rotting skull... terrific...I told them to make funny faces... obviously we'll be working on this for the rest of the term...And then we hiked back with only one scary adventure...
All in all, it was an absolute blast... these kids are more fun than I ever hoped for and I am, again, indescribably grateful for having this opportunity.

Last night I realized how little time I have left here and teaching these kids, and it was really hard to think about leaving them. I've spent so much time hanging out with them and talking about their lives and getting to know their hearts and trying to get them to do homework... :)

However, I am confident in God's plans and at least know that, whether I'm here or not, God will continue to move in their lives.

But I'll still really miss them....

No comments:

Post a Comment