Friday, May 7, 2010

MOMMY!!!!

I REALLY like my Mom. So when my Dad let it slip back in December that she actually WAS going to come visit (contrary to what she had been telling me...) I was SUPER pumped. My time with Daddy while he was here was so sweet and so incredibly special, so I was thrilled about being able to share this with my Mom as well. After months of counting down, she was here along with my aunt and cousin as well. And what a beautiful, long (thanks, Iceland!) week :)

We started off by going on a safari so they could get a taste of the "traditional Africa" you'd most likely think of - vast plains; zebra, giraffe, cheetahs, elephants everywhere; mosquito nets, etc. Unfortunately a lot of animals have migrated so we didn't see the thousands that Daddy and I saw, but it was still a wonderful adventure. Mom was great at pointing out bushes that looked like animals and we got to sleep in really nice tents - very adventurous :)You'd almost think hyenas are cute, eh?These two lions were OLD... and seriously awesome. And have huge chunks of their faces missing...We didn't see any giraffe the first day so Aunt Vickie prayed for some the second day, and this is what we saw less than 100 yds. from the gate. Sweet :)I REALLY hate hippos. They terrify me. Did you know they kill more people in Africa than any other animal? Because they're terrifying. Also, did you know this is the only place in the park they'll let you walk around? Right by all of the hippos. Hungry hippos. Mean hippos. Territorial hippos. I wasn't thrilled.And Mom got to see her favorite animal in real life :)

The rest of the week was spent exploring places closer to Kijabe. We visited the Kijabe hospital since my aunt's a nurse and we were able to see and learn of what a huge ministry it is and the different ways that it is such a blessing to Africans especially. Afterwards we headed off to a picnic at Hippo Point on Lake Naivasha and ate among the giraffe and zebras :) It may look like the safari pictures, but getting out and knowing that a wild giraffe could come attack us any second (because that happens... never...) added a great thrill to it...And then that night we made some Christmas cupcakes and ate with Christmas napkins since we didn't celebrate together in December :) It was way cute.
This post is long enough. Part 2 to come...

1 comment:

  1. The picture of the 4 giraffes is the best safari picture ive seen by far...the giraffe you gave me is in my room next to my tv :)

    ReplyDelete