Sunday, November 29, 2009

thankful...

So I know I'm a little late on the whole Thanksgiving blog post thing and should therefore get minus a blog demerit or something, but better late than never, right?

Last week (Wednesday) was our last day of Term 1 (3 terms in all). The kids flew off to meet their parents wherever they are and started a month-long break to relax, spend time with families, spend time in their African home countries, and be refreshed before starting another term here in early January. I am so thankful for each of my students and the time they're about to have with their family, as well as a nice month-long break to catch up on the things I would love to be doing with non-teaching time.

Right before break (we call it vac (like "vacation") here, so that's probably how I'll refer to it from now on, just a heads up) the students put on all of their Christmas programs - the band concerts and the titchie (elementary) Christmas play. They were all absolutely incredible, especially considering they were done in Africa, and I could kick myself for not getting pictures of it all since the kids looked so great all dressed up! However, my neighbor did get some pictures of the titchies doing their play...

The kids were officially all gone by Thursday afternoon, which left us to celebrate Thanksgiving in a much calmer atmosphere than there otherwise would've been. This was my first Thanksgiving away from my parents - away from either Wisconsin or Houston, away from the family gathering around and arguing over who cooks the cornbread dressing, away from seeing all of my cousins and aunts and uncles and grandparents, away from our little family traditions that you don't really notice until they're not there anymore.

And while it was missing a lot, there was also much that I didn't miss. The only things I ever eat on Thanksgiving are rolls, turkey, cornbread dressing, and green bean casserole. And that's exactly what I ate here, and it was GOOD! Plus I'm in Africa, of all places to be away from my family, I think this place wins for the best. Plus I was with some friends from college that came in for the conference here, which was sweet, and the family we ate with is one of my favorites here, so I was surrounded by people I love. I am so thankful that it was an overall wonderful alternative to my traditional Thanksgiving.

And I'm sure all of you know and agree that Thanksgiving isn't Thanksgiving without watching the Aggie game! So for weeks a couple other Aggies and I have been talking about trying to see if the game would be showing in Studie, the Student Lounge that plays sports games 24/7 on the small tv in there. Last week we figured out it'd be showing at 4 a.m., so true to Aggie spirit, Jamie and I woke up and met up with 2 other Aggie families and watched the Aggies play hard against that other team from Austin. It was an exciting game - exciting enough to keep us awake!! I am so thankful that we got to watch it. As silly as it sounds, it was so much fun and made us feel like we weren't quite the thousands of miles away as we were.
After the game I jumped into a van full of people to go to Nairobi and officially become a resident! We went to the immigration office and I got my E Permit and fingerprinted and it was disgusting and smelly, and I was exhausted beyond expression, but I was so thankful for this opportunity - I'm a Kenyan resident!! Who'd've though!

And lastly, we've been having an AIM-Kenya conference here at RVA since Thursday night, and it's actually been pretty great. We've learned a LOT about what AIM's doing in other parts of Africa and I've met a lot of missionaries that are serving in really hard places, and it's been incredible. Worship tonight was especially good and as I looked around, I realized how thankful I was for the priveledge to be in the same room as these men and women who have sacrificed so much to spread the Gospel in some of the most desperate places in the world. I am amazed at what God's doing here, and it is so good to meet some of His instruments!

Um, by the way, have I mentioned my Daddy's coming in 5 DAYS?? His flight is supposed to arrive Saturday night, in which case we'll be in Africa.. together.. for a week... WHOOP :)

Happy Thanksgiving a few days late y'all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment